Wednesday, September 14, 2011

365 days ago....

Forewarning: a boring post to document for myself what Colson's birth story is-consider yourself warned!

365 days ago today, Alan and I went to the hospital expecting to have a baby boy....little did we know that it would be 47 long hours until we met our Colson!


The night before our scheduled delivery date we went to Olive Garden, which is what we did the night before Alyvia was born :)  The morning of September 14th Alan and I took Alyvia to school, dropped the dogs off at my parents house and went to the hospital.  Our induction started promptly at 10:00 a.m. and everyone assured us "this is your second baby, it will go fast"-ha. ha. ha.  We kept turning the pitocin up and up and up again, but I never got into any sort of contraction pattern.  About 9 p.m. that night it was decided to stop the pitocin, allow me to eat (because I hadn't been able to all day) and sleep.  The next morning we would start the pitocin up again and we'd meet our baby boy on the 15th.  Alan got me chicken strips from the cafeteria and then went home to sleep.  I spent the night in the hospital, a little disappointed, but eagerly anticipating the next day when I'd have a baby in my arms.  The next morning about 6 a.m. my pitocin was back on.  Unfortunately, the story was much the same as the day before.  I made little to no progress the entire day, with the pitocin maxed out.  As the day wore on, I got increasingly frustrated and stopped communicating my lack of progress with anyone.  To say I was disappointed would be a huge understatement.  I was exhausted and didn't know what we were supposed to do at this point.  My bright point though was our baby boy, who despite having a 24 hour "stress test", was doing excellent!  Dr. B came by our room around 7 that evening to talk.  We decided (after agonizing over our options) to try and break my water.  If that didn't work, then I would go home and come back on Saturday and try again.  Was it the right decision?  Was he just not ready yet?  I would be wracked with guilt if he was sick because he was too early.  Dr. B was able to break my water though and I FINALLY started contracting (if I'd only known that was the key)!  I got my epidural around 9:30 and was in a good contraction pattern, aided by my constant friend, pitocin.  As soon as the anesthetist left the room, my nurse came in and said "Dr. L and Dr. B have an emergency at another hospital and they want all their other patients pitocin shut off until they are done".  Are you kidding me?!  Nope, off went my pitocin and my labor slowed down.  Sometime around 1 a.m. Dr. L came in my room and my pitocin was turned back on.  8 hours of steady progress later and Colson Thomas Cowser entered the world at 9:03 a.m. on September 16th, 2010. 

6 lbs. 11 oz. 

So worth the wait....


**If you made it through the whole post, I apologize for the lack of pictures.  Alan claims he tried to take pictures and I kept deleting them-I don't remember that, but it sounds like something I might do :)

No comments:

Post a Comment