Sunday, August 14, 2011

Heaven Only Knows...

Sadly, my Grandpa Schindel passed away last night.  He has been a little sick, but his death was somewhat unexpetected.  We haven't had a death in the family in almost 3 years so we've never had to explain anything like this to Alyvia.  I told Alyvia this morning that " Grandpa got very sick and had to go to heaven".  That sparked an all day conversation on death and heaven.  I knew it would, she is so very curious about everything. We didn't press it, but she would randomly ask questions throughout the day, a lot of the time while riding in the car. 

Alyvia is very sensitive.  She was so worried about her Nana, she didn't want Nana to be sad.  She was also worried that Grandma Schindel would be alone.  She is so loving.  I told her that it's o.k. to be sad and that, yes, everyone is sad that Grandpa isn't going to be here anymore.  She then said, "but I won't get to say hi to him anymore".  She gets it. 

We talked about heaven and a lot about Jesus.  Alyvia is concerned about how Grandpa will actually get to heaven.....without wings :)  Alan and I both tried to explain how your "spirit" or your "heart" goes to heaven.  Then Livi asked "How does Jesus get Grandpa's heart?"  It's so hard to explain a concept to a 4 year old.  Especially a concept that I don't actually understand myself-you're a good person, you go to heaven, it just happens, right?  After going round and round, I asked her "Do you think Jesus has wings to help get Grandpa to heaven?"  And she said "Yes, Jesus has wings and he carries people to heaven".  I think that's a nice thought, so that's what we're going with right now. 

I love her innocence, I love her questions, I love her caring heart, I love her.  And my grandpa loved her too, she was his "little buddy".   I like to think we'll all be together- my grandpa Schindel, my grandma & grandpa Snyder, everyone-some day in heaven.....after Jesus carries us there :)

No comments:

Post a Comment