Monday, February 6, 2012

Saying Goodbye

My grandma passed away on Friday, the 3rd.  She's been sick for awhile, but I still felt it was somewhat unexpected.  I thought we still had a little more time.  It's hard to travel back and forth in 1 day with 2 small kids.  I wish we had done it just once more.  My grandma always acknowledged that traveling with 2 little ones was hard and was so appreciative whenever we did make it up to see her.  Truth be told, my kids are actually pretty good when traveling-that fact makes me feel guiltier.  

One of the things I remember most about my grandma growing up is her meals.  She ALWAYS had complete meals for us when we visited and she was the BEST cook.  Sadly for my family, I did not inherit that trait :)  My grandma grew up on a farm.  I think she really liked that I married a farmer.  She would always tell Alan about how her dad had picked the crops and then Alan would tell her about his GPS guided combine-how things change!

We really did try to go up when we could and I hope both my grandparents knew that-I tend to think they did.  They loved my kids so much and I'm glad that they got to know them.  I'm sure they loved us too-but hey, my kids are super cute and funny so I would rather visit with them too!  I'm sad that I have no more living grandparents, but happy that they are united again in heaven.  I don't know that in my generation you'll see as many couples that loved each other the way my grandparents did.  Both sets of my grandparents seemed a perfect match-to me anyhow.  I hope someday our grandkids can say that about Alan and I.  Goodbye Grandma Schindel, we love you and will miss you!  We miss all of you...


No comments:

Post a Comment